Discover the hidden delights of Cordoba's historic centre on this guided walking tour of the Axerquia neighbourhood. What's more, it's FREE!
Free Walking Tour of Axerquia Itinerary
After meeting at 5 Calle Angel de Saavedra, you'll begin your free walking tour, heading in the direction of the Puerta del Puente, an impressive Renaissance-style gate.
Learn about the construction of the gate, originally started in 1572, and who it now commemorates, as you admire its architecture. From this entrance to the old city, you'll make your way to the Axerquia district, where you'll uncover the secrets of the historic heart of Cordoba on this two-hour free walking tour. What are you waiting for?
This free tour of Axerquia will take you to the famous sculpture of the Christ of Atonement and Mercy, more commonly known as Christ of the Lanterns, which is located in Plaza de los Capuchinos. Enjoy the sight of the illuminated statue at nightfall, a beautiful memory that will stay with you for a very long time.
Did you know that Cordoba has its very own authentic ancient Roman temple? This historic and architectural treasure was discovered after an excavation in the 1950s, and a lack of written documents about it mean its existence is shrouded in mystery.
Your free guided tour of Axerquia will end in the popular Plaza de las Tendillas. The square is home to the favourite meeting spots of Cordoba locals, where they come to cool down from the heat of the southern Spanish city with a refreshing salmorejo, a typical delicacy from the area: a purée of tomato and bread.
It is not possible to reserve this free tour if you are a group of more than 6 people. If this is the case, we recommend you reserve a private tour of Cordoba.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 25 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Spanish and English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (3:30 pm local time) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility or pushchairs/strollers).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
5 Calle Angel de Saavedra.