Feel like a discoverer onboard the Santa Maria caravel, an exact replica of the ship that took Christopher Columbus to the New World. Sail the southern coast of Madeira on this historic ship!
Christopher Columbus Caravel Trip
We'll meet at the indicated time at the Marina Funchal port, where the magnificent Santa Maria caravel will be waiting for us. Onboard this historical ship, we'll travel back to 1492 and relive Christopher Columbus' voyage to the New World as we sail along the southern coast of Madeira.
Onboard the caravel you'll enjoy the company of the crew, a group of pirates from Madeira and their friendly parrot! What's more, we might even spot some of the dolphins and whales that live in this area of the Atlantic!
Built in Câmara de Lobos, this ship is a replica of the caravel that accompanied La Pinta and La Niña in the discovery of America. Santa Maria was the largest of the three and was captained by Christopher Columbus. You'll get to explore its deck, go down to its cellar, admire its magnificent Portuguese sails and crow's nest.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 70% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 3 and 12 years old||Children under 3 years old|
Children between 3 and 12 years oldUS$ 20.80
Children under 3 years oldFree
Boat ride on the Santa Maria caravel.
Dolphin and whale spotting.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 12 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you need help to book an activity or have any enquiries, please contact us.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).