Experience the incredible opportunity of seeing some of the world's biggest marine mammals in their natural habitat off the Isle of Mauritius. Cruise the Indian Ocean on this whale and dolphin spotting safari.
Meet at the Dolswim office on the Black River coast, where marine life experts will tell you all about the aquatic mammals that you could spot on this excursion, as well as teaching you the rules to follow to ensure the well-being of these majestic animals. After a short safety briefing, you'll climb aboard the boat and set sail off the coast of Mauritius.
Enjoy a delicious breakfast on board the boat as you watch the island shrink into the horizon, before your first animal encounter. You'll see dolphins on the first part of this excursion. These beautiful creatures are habitual visitors to the Mauritian coast, and it's not unusual to see large pods of the two most common species: the sociable bottlenose dolphin, considered one of the world's most intelligent animals, and the spinner dolphin, famous for its acrobatics. Respecting the advice given regarding their well-being, you can watch the dolphins play and socialise with each other in complete freedom.
Continuing your boat trip, you'll cruise out into the open sea, where whales are more common. Throughout the year, you can see sperm whales, one of the largest species of whale in the world (they can reach over 50 feet in length and weigh over 50 tonnes). During the southern winter season (between July and September), it's also possible to see humpback whales, as they migrate to the warmer tropical waters to mate and give birth. In this area, the deep mating calls of the males of the species are often heard, sometimes lasting up to 20 minutes.
You'll return to the Dolswim offices in Black River around 1 pm.
Dolphins are very common on the west coast of Mauritius. Equally, sperm whales are considered a native species to the area as well. However, animals are unpredictable, and it cannot be guaranteed to see these species during the excursion.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 5 and 12 years old||Children under 5 years old|
|Whale and dolphin spotting||
Whale and dolphin spotting
Children between 5 and 12 years oldUS$ 48.90
Children under 5 years oldFree
5 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Boat trip along the Mauritius coast.
Breakfast on board.
When to book?
You can book up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Dolswim. La Jetée Road.