Explore two important locations in the Castellón province on this Peñíscola & San Mateo Day Trip from Valencia. Discover the history and culture of these two towns along the Mediterranean.
Peñíscola & San Mateo Day Trip
At 9 am we'll meet at Carrer de Xátiva in Valencia, and board a bus en route to Castellón to visit Peñíscola and San Mateo. We'll head north past the Way of El Cid.
The first stop will be Peñíscola, where after a two-hour journey we'll admire its impressive castle whose walls rise up before the Mediterranean as if they were sculpted into the rock. The town full of white coloured houses hides an abundance of history dating back to the Templar period. Its streets recall the controversial 14th-century antipope Papa Luna, who lived in the small town in Castellón. It's also a location for famous Spanish TV shows and films.
Following on, we'll visit the historical heart of the Maestrazgo region, San Mateo. The bus will take us through mountainous areas that are a contrast to Valencia's coastline landscape. You'll have free time in San Mateo to explore the town and enjoy some local cuisine.
Once we've finished lunch, the day trip will continue with a two hour guided tour around San Mateo, home to great historical figures. Its buildings remind visitors of the town's glorious past linked to its trade relations with Florence. Amongst its gothic buildings, many important events took place including the East-West Schism.
After spending the day discovering the history of Peñíscola and San Mateo, we'll go back to the bus and head to Valencia. The tour will finish at 8 pm at the starting point.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 40% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 60% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 15 years old||Children under 4 years old|
|Tour in English||
Tour in English
Children between 4 and 15 years oldUS$ 50.60
Children under 4 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Transport by bus.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (9:00 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Carrer de Xátiva, 11