Discover why Old Goa is known as the Rome of the East on this guided walking tour of the city's historic centre, a place full of Catholic churches and reminders of times gone by.
Once the capital of Portuguese India, all that remains of the historic city of Old Goa today are a number of magnificent churches now designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Begin your tour of these ancient holy sites at the Basilica of Bom Jesus, the oldest church in the region, having been consecrated in 1605.
Your next stop will be the Church of St. Francis of Assisi, also built under the Portuguese Viceroyalty of India, and the nearby Goa Archaeological Museum and the Kristu Kala Mandir art gallery. The latter, located in the grounds of the Church, is home to an extensive collection of Christian art. The gallery is housed in the old Archbishop's Palace, one of the most beautiful buildings in the area.
You'll then make your way to Goa Cathedral, also known as Se Catedral de Santa Catarina as it is the See or Seat of the Archbishop of Goa, making it the largest See in Asia. See the statue of Jesus located just next to the impressive Portuguese-colonial-style building.
Amongst the different historical sites that you will visit throughout your tour, you'll also visit the Gateway to the Palace of Yusuf Adil Shah; the Viceroy Arch which marks the entrance to the city of Old Goa, and the St. Cajetan Church. This last church offers incomparable views over the Mandovi River and Divar Island, a fitting end to your panoramic tour of the religious history of Old Goa and its people.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 4 years old|
Children under 4 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Professional English and Hindi speaking guide.
Transport, if necessary.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 9 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Basilica of Bom Jesus.