From beautiful colonial architecture to spectacular views from Peñón Rock: enjoy the best of Guatapé on this day trip from Medellin.
Guatapé Day Trip Itinerary
Set off from Medellin on the morning of your tour, heading towards the east. After an hour's drive, you'll make a stop of around 30 minutes to enjoy a light breakfast and get to know Marinilla. This town is known as the "Sparta of Colombia" due to the fierce fighting of its inhabitants in the battle for national independence.
After visiting Marinilla and building up your energy with a traditional lunch, you'll next head to La Piedra de El Peñol, or the Rock of Peñol, also known as El Peñón of Guatapé. This enormous monolith towers more than 200 metres (656 feet) above the surrounding countryside. You'll have an hour and fifteen minutes of free time here, during which you'll have the opportunity to climb to the peak of the Rock (entrance not included). Climbing up the 740 steps gives you incredible panoramic views over the breathtaking Peñol Reservoir below.
The final part of your day trip involves a guided walking tour of Guatapé. Spend an hour and a half strolling through this picturesque colonial town, you'll discover its most emblematic landmarks and monuments, like the Church of Our Lady of Carmen and the colourful Plaza de los Zócalos square.
At the end of an unforgettable day of sightseeing around Guatapé, you'll make the return journey to Medellin.
Breakfast & lunch included
This excursion includes a light breakfast, including an arepa (a typical Colombian maize-dough flatbread), fresh cheese and a drink: hot chocolate or coffee.
You'll also have the choice of three different menu options for lunch:
- Menu 1: rice, salad, potatoes, patacón (fried plantain) and trout.
- Menu 2: the same as Menu 1, but with grilled chicken instead of trout.
- Menu 3: rice, salad, beans and arepas with meat, chorizo and sausages.
If you require a vegetarian menu, please let your guide know on the day of the tour. This menu includes bean soup, rice, salad, patacón, eggs, avocado and arepas.
All dishes are served with a typical local drink: aguapanela, or sugar cane water, with lemon, a very popular natural soft drink in Colombia.
Meeting times & places
When making your reservation, you'll be asked to select which meeting point in Medellin you'd like to be picked up from. Please be ready and waiting at least 10 minutes ahead of time:
- Parque El Poblado, at the crossroads of 43A and 9th Streets at 7:45 am.
- Plazoleta Nutibara, in front of the main entrance of the Hotel Nutibara at 8:15 am.
- You must bring a valid passport (or a copy) in order to participate in this activity.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing on this tour, and bringing a warm jacket.
- Children under 4 years old go free on this tour, however for each child you'll have to pay an insurance charge of 1.50 EUR.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 6||Children under 4|
Children from 4 to 6US$ 27
Children under 4Free
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Transport by bus.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Entrance to El Peñón Rock viewpoint (20,000 COP, approx. 5 EUR).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (you must attend with a carer).