Explore the best of Valparaiso on this free walking tour. Delve deep into its history as you stroll down colourful Bohemian streets and enjoy spectacular views from its steep hills.
Valparaiso Free Walking Tour Itinerary
Begin your free walking tour of Valparaiso near the port, in a square called Plaza Sotomayor, next to the Monumento a los Héroes de Iquique. We'll learn about the history of this monument before making our way down to the port to learn about the origins of this fascinating Chilean city, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
When we arrive at the waterfront, you'll hop on board a traditional trolleybus and enjoy the relaxing ride to one of Valparaiso's funiculars. With so many hills in the city, it has had over thirty different funiculars and elevators throughout its history, most of which were built between the 19th and 20th centuries.
We'll get off the funicular at the highest part of the city: Cerro Alegre and Cerro Concepcion. Admire the beautiful Bohemian streets in this district, and the colourful houses, infinite staircases, luxury hotels and diverse churches perched upon steep hills.
Our tour will continue along Paseo Dimalow, walking down picturesque streets such as Pasaje Gálvez and Pasaje Bavestrello until we arrive at the Palacio Baburizza. At the end of the tour we'll head back down in the funicular and make our way to the starting point, where our free tour will end.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in english and spanish.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Funicular ticket (around 1 USD).
Trolleybus ticket (around 0.5 USD).
When to book?
You can book up until the same day (8:00 am) if there are still places available. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Yes, you must attend with a carer.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Monumento a Los Héroes de Iquique (Plaza Sotomayor)