Historic buildings, traditional houseboats and tiny islands: it wouldn't be a trip to Kerala without exploring the beautiful backwaters! Climb aboard a canoe and discover Alleppey from the water.
Alleppey Backwater Boat Tour Itinerary
Meet your guide at the docks in Alleppey, or Alappuzha as it is alternatively known, ready to climb into the wooden canoes used by locals and tourists alike to travel around the canals and backwaters of the Keralan city.
Once on board, you'll begin sailing along the canals that interconnect throughout Alleppey. As you delve deeper into the beautiful network of waterways in the southern Indian city, you'll soon see why it has earned the nickname "Venice of the East"!
Continue cruising towards the backwaters themselves, where you'll find that many boats are no longer just a way to travel around, but are being used as homes too! Your guide will reveal how the traditional houseboats have become a way of life in Alleppey.
Relax and enjoy the gentle rock of the canoe as it sails along, and you'll soon reach a viewpoint where you'll stop to take in the views. Feel the breeze as you admire the spectacular panoramic views of Alleppey. You'll be able to spot the impressive white façade of the Basilica of St. Mary Champakulam, one of the oldest churches in India, dating back to the 5th century. The perfect fusion of tradition and nature in one city!
Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for the different migratory birds that fly overhead as you explore some of the most beautiful corners of Alleppey. For the cherry on the cake of your Kerala backwaters boat tour, you'll be served a hot drink while you enjoy the views.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Per personUS$ 40.60
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 8 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
No (not advisable for people with reduced mobility).
Alleppey Boat Jetty.