Alleppey is a city of lush, greenery-lined canals and backwaters... and of vibrant flavours too! Discover the incredible gastronomy of Kerala on this food tour of the southern Indian city.
Alleppey Food Tour Itinerary
On the day of your tour, meet your guide at the Mullackal Temple to begin your walking tour around the best foodie spots in Alleppey, or Alappuzha as it is officially known. Ready to immerse yourself in the flavours of the so-called Venice of the East?
As you stroll along the streets of the city centre, passing the canals for which Alleppey has earned its nickname, you'll visit some of the oldest established food stores in the area. Inside, you'll have the opportunity to sample some of the savoury snacks most typical of Kerala. Try idiyappam, a steamed rice noodle dish; dhokla, made from a fermented batter of rice and chickpeas; and Keralan halwa, one of the region's most popular sweet treats.
Once you've tried halwa, you'll definitely have a taste for the sweet stuff! You won't just get to eat it, you'll also visit a shop to learn how they make it! Sugar, nuts and spices... a delicious taste of India!
Naturally, you'll need something to wash all these treats down with, so the next stop will be in one of Alleppey's local cafes to enjoy a cup of coffee. For the cherry on the cake, you'll have a window seat in the coffee shop from which to admire the views of the beautiful city and watch the world go by.
You'll then continue on your food tour to a store which specialises in Mukhwas. Ever heard of this interesting food? It's a brightly coloured traditional Indian after-meal snack used as a mouth freshener! Mukhwas can be made from a variety of different seeds and nuts, and usually includes fennel, anise, coconut and sesame seeds.
With your palate refreshed, the finishing touch on your tour will be sampling chaat, a typical savoury snack served at street food stalls across India. Bon appetit!
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 13.50
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking guide.
Food tastings and a drink.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 12 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not advisable for people with reduced mobility).
Sree Mahavishnu Mullackal Temple.