Experience the history of the American Civil War with this tour of Atlanta and find out about how the city became the epicentre of the American Civil Rights movement.
Civil War & Civil Rights Tour
We'll pick you up from your hotel in Atlanta at the arranged time. Climbing on board a comfortable bus, we'll set off following the footsteps of the Civil War around the city, an important battlefield during the war of independence.
First, we'll head to Cabbagetown, a former residential neighbourhood where the 19th-century architectural style is preserved. This historic district of Atlanta is included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places due to its vital importance to the cotton industry.
We'll continue our overview of the American Civil War as we approach Inman Park, where the Battle of Atlanta took place, a battle that contributed to speeding up the end of the war. Although Atlanta was almost completely destroyed, there are still some Victorian houses that we'll see during the tour.
To close the chapter on the Civil War, we'll visit Oakland Cemetery. In this cemetery lie soldiers, and figures as important as the founder of the Masters Golf Tournament and Margaret Mitchell.
Then we'll learn about the political history of Atlanta, specifically its fascinating chapter on Civil Rights. Atlanta is Martin Luther King Jr.'s hometown, so we'll visit his home, the church he attended and finally his grave, with a guide telling us everything about the movement he led.
Lastly, we'll visit the Sweet Auburn Curb Market. Nowadays it's a public market. In fact, it's the only market in the city. During the 1920s, however, it was the wealthiest African-American street in the world. Why? We'll find out on the tour!
At the end of the tour, we'll make our way back to your hotels in Atlanta.
You'll enjoy the tour from the comfort of a bus, however, we'll make several stops so you can take pictures and admire Atlanta's most iconic landmarks.
This tour is not recommended for children under 12.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 4 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 66% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|English language tour||
English language tour
Per personUS$ 115
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (10:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).