Discover why Bruges is a popular destination for thousands of tourists. Head back in time to the medieval ages and learn why the city still looks the same today on this free tour!
Free Tour of Bruges
We will start our free tour of Bruges in the centrally located Grote Markt square. This maketplace dates back to the 10th Century and has been at the economic heart of the city ever since. The Belfort tower is one of the most famous Gothic buildings in Belgium.
The tour goes to Burg square, the political centre of the city, and home to the oldest gothic City Hall in the Low Countries. Here you will also see the Basilica of the Holy Blood which houses a relic of the blood of Jesus Christ.
Other locations you will pass are two of the oldest squares in Bruges - VisMarkt (fishmarket) and Tanners square, and the GroeningeMuseum
On this route we will also tour the banks of the canals of Bruges. One of the most popular riverside areas of the city is Minnewater, also know as the Lake of Love. This is one of the main water reservoirs that feed the canal system of the ‘Venice of the North’. Admire a stunning panoramic view from this beautiful location.
You will also visit the only brewery still operating in the city centre - ‘De Halve Maan’ where you can try one of the famous Bruges beers and a ‘Flemish Carbonnade’, a traditional beef stew made with local beer.
- It is not possible to do this free tour of Bruges if you are a group of more than 6 people.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. A maximum of three children per adult is permitted.
- We will be visiting the exteriors of the monuments on the tour, but we will not enter the interior of any of them.
How to get to Bruges from Brussels
There is a frequent train service to Bruges from the Belgian capital (principally Gare du Midi and Brussel Central Stations). The journey takes just one hour.
If you prefer, you have the option to reserve our trip to Bruges from Brussels.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of Bruges.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (7:00 PM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
The Market Square, next to Belfry Tower
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.