Discover Jerez de la Frontera's incredible Islamic heritage: visit two of the city's most emblematic monuments, the Alcazar and the Cathedral.
Jerez Alcazar & Cathedral Guided Tour Itinerary
After meeting your guide at 11 am in Plaza del Arenal, Jerez de la Frontera's beautiful main square, you'll begin your two-hour walking tour around the city's most important and representative historic buildings and monuments.
The first stop on your route will be the imposing Alcazar of Jerez, one of the very few examples in Spain of architecture from the 12th century Almohad Caliphate. The former Moorish palace-fortress is the oldest monument in the city.
To access the Alcazar complex, you'll enter via the Puerta de la Ciudad, or the "Gate of the City". Admire the magnificent architecture of the buildings, including the only remaining of eighteen mosques that the city used to have, which was turned into a church after the Christian conquest of Jerez. Explore the beautiful courtyards and gardens, and visit the Palacio de Villavicencio, a spectacular Baroque palace which housed the municipal pharmacy in the 19th century.
Leaving the Alcazar behind, you'll make your way to Plaza Encarnación, where the 17th century Cathedral of Jerez de la Frontera stands. Along the way, you'll see the monument to Tio Pepe, honouring the founder of the famous sherry bodegas.
Reaching the cathedral, you'll be captivated by the stunning mix of architectural styles, from Gothic to Baroque to Neoclassical. Inside, you'll discover its different chapels and the elaborate details of the religious paintings and reliefs decorating them.
Your guided tour of historic Jerez de la Frontera will come to an end around 1 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 9 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 5 and 11 years old||Children under 5 years old|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Children between 5 and 11 years oldUS$ 11.30
Children under 5 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Local English speaking guide with expert knowledge of art and history.
Entrance to Alcazar.
Entrance to Cathedral.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Jerez local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
Plaza del Arenal.