Ruined fortresses and European churches: delve into the history of southern India and discover its colonial legacy on this free walking tour of Kochi.
Free Walking Tour of Kochi
Our free walking tour of Kochi will begin in front of the Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica, located in the historic Fort Kochi district. This fishing village in the medieval Kingdom of Cochin was colonised by the Portuguese at the start of the 16th century, and we'll learn all about its heritage on our tour.
We'll delve into the city's colonial past visiting the nearby Indo-Portuguese Museum. Its permanent collection showcases the Portuguese influence on the area and is located in the so-called Bishop's House, a large 16th century building in Fort Kochi. After a guided tour of the museum, we'll continue our free walking tour to the Dutch Cemetery and the elegant houses of the settlers that surround it.
The next stop will be at the ruins of Fort Emmanuel, a fortress built by the Portuguese in 1503. From there, we'll head to the commercial area of the city, where we'll stop in front of the popular Kashi Art Cafe.
Our free tour of Kochi will come to an end in front of the St Francis Church.
- This free tour is not for groups of more than six people. If you're a larger group, please book our Guided Tour of Kochi instead.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is a maximum of three children per adult.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide with expert knowledge of Kochi history.
When to book?
You can book up until the previous day (11:59 pm) if there are still places available. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi.