Immerse yourself in the history of Lisbon on this free walking tour of the Portuguese capital's oldest district: Alfama. Discover enchantingly picturesque streets full of culture and tradition.
Alfama Free Walking Tour Itinerary
Your free walking tour of Lisbon's most historic neighbourhood will depart from Rossio Square, also known as Praça Dom Pedro IV, in the heart of the city centre. The square is the favourite meeting point of local Lisboetas, so it's the ideal place to get stuck into the lively atmosphere of the Portuguese capital before delving into the history of Alfama.
From the statue dedicated to the Soldier King of Portugal, Pedro IV, you'll begin your stroll through the city's oldest neighbourhood - one of the only areas of Lisbon to survive the 1755 earthquake. As you wander through the quaint streets, you'll learn all about the customs and traditions of the people who live here. You'll see the famous São Cristóvão stairs, the Fado Wall or the oldest house in Lisbon.
Did you know that Alfama is home to some of the oldest traditions of the Portuguese music genre fado? Discover the historic origins of fado and what inspired the Portuguese musicians to write their mournful songs as you walk along steep cobblestone streets lined with ancient staircases and colourful houses.
We'll visit both the Chão do Loureiro and Santa Luzia viewpoints, from where you'll get some incredible views of Lisbon and the River Tajo. And we'll take you to the bakery which won the prize for best pastel de nata in 2019, and climb up to the São Jorge Castle, an icon in the Portuguese capital.
Your free walking tour of this legendary district will then take you to the Portas do Sol viewpoint for a spectacular view over the city's rooftops, the Lisbon Cathedral, also known simply as the Sé, where your route will come to an end.
- It is not possible to reserve this free tour of Alfama if you're a group of more than 6 people. If this is the case, you should reserve a private tour instead.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is a maximum of 3 children per adult.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Are you travelling with children?
A - Children under 18 should be accompanied by an adult. The maximum number of children permitted per adult is 3.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you need help to book an activity or have any enquiries, please contact us.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Rossio Square (Praça Dom Pedro IV).