Discover the vast white desert of the Salinas Grandes and hike to the famous rainbow rocks of the Hill of Seven Colours on this tour from Purmamarca.
Salinas Grandes & Hill of 7 Colours Tour
We'll pick you up from Purmamarca between 10:15 am and 10:30 am on the morning of the excursion and set off on the road to the Salinas Grandes. These enormous salt flats, one of the largest in South America, are one of the most photographed places in northwest Argentina.
Following the steep labyrinthine trails up the Lipán, Saladillo and Abra de Potrerillos hills, we'll enjoy the impressive panoramic views of the rugged landscapes of Purmamarca. As we walk, we'll also discover the local wildlife - keep your eyes peeled for the vicuñas and llamas along the route!
Reaching the altitudes of Salinas Grandes, which are located an average of 3,450 metres above sea levels, you'll be captivated by the sight of the seemingly-endless white desert stretching out before us. The vast salt flat creates a striking image contrasting against the blue skies. Don't forget your camera!
We'll spend 45 minutes in Salinas Grandes, learning all about its history and how it was formed, before leaving the salt flats behind and making our way back to Purmamarca. You'll then have an hour of free time to get lunch or to explore the town at your leisure.
Meeting back up, we'll embark on a 40 minute hike along the Paseo de los Colorados, the trail to the famous Hill of Seven Colours. This route will give us spectacular views of this intriguingly colourful mountain and the surrounding landscapes.
At the end of the tour, we'll return to Purmamarca for 3:30 pm.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 4 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 35.70
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by minibus.
English speaking guide.
Food and drink.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (7:00 pm local time) if there are still places available.
Te enviaremos un bono que podrás mostrar en tu móvil para realizar la actividad.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (only for folding wheelchairs).