Leave urban Quito behind and lose yourself in Ecuador's natural beauty. Discover Cotopaxi, one of the world's highest active volcanoes, and marvel at the turquoise waters of Quilotoa Lagoon, a volcanic caldera.
Cotopaxi & Quilotoa Volcanoes Excursion Itinerary
After being picked up from your hotel at 6:55 in the morning, you'll leave Quito behind and head south on the Pan-American Highway. During the tour, we'll admire the Andes ecosystems and landscapes and you'll have the opportunity to drink the local tea that prevents altitude sickness. Don't worry about this as we have devices to measure the pressure, you just have to enjoy the ride!
The first step that you'll make will be in the Cotopaxi National Park, home to one of the world's highest active volcanoes. The park is Ecuador's second most important tourist attraction, beaten only by the Galapagos Islands in popularity.
Crossing the green páramo of the national park, you'll arrive at the flanks of the majestic Cotopaxi Volcano. Here, you'll have the opportunity to visit the park's museum and the Limpiopungo Lagoon, a stunning example of the imprint left by the ancient eruptions of the volcano. After a relaxed walk (if weather conditions allow it), you'll reach a forest of chuquiragas - a species of flower native to the Andes, which feed local hummingbirds - located almost 13,800 feet (4200 m) above sea level.
Returning to the highway, you'll make your way southwest, arriving at the Quilotoa Volcano. The furthest west of Ecuador's volcanoes, the beautiful turquoise water-filled caldera was formed over 600 years ago after the volcano's devastating eruption. The dramatic scenery of the paradise lagoon is one of the country's most spectacular sights. A short hike (dependant on weather conditions) will bring you to the Quilotoa viewpoint, from which you'll enjoy an unforgettable panoramic view over Quilotoa Lagoon, one of the world's most beautiful volcanic lakes.
You'll then have free time to have lunch (not included) before taking the road back to Quito. The tour will end with drop off back at your hotel at about 7 pm.
Option Without Pick Up
If you would prefer to make your own way to the meet point, you should head to the Hotel Kaia (Valladolid N24-742 y Julio Zaldumbide) for 6:55 am.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
|Tour with pick up||
|Tour without pick up||
Tour with pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
Tour without pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Transport by air conditioned bus.
Entrance to Cotopaxi National Park.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
You can book up until the same day (5:00 am) if there are still places available. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.