Explore the dramatic peaks and spectacular scenery of Ecuador's aptly named Avenue of the Volcanoes. Visit Cotopaxi National Park, Riobamba and Alausí, and ride a train on the "Devil's Nose".
Avenue of the Volcanoes 2-Day Tour Itinerary
Day 1 - Quito - Cotopaxi - Riobamba
On day one of your tour, you'll be picked up from your hotel first thing in the morning. Leave Quito behind and set off on your excursion into the Ecuadorian highlands, crossing the country's biggest volcanic area. Aptly named the Avenida de los Volcanes - the Avenue of the Volcanoes - in 1802 by German scientist and explorer Alexander Von Humboldt, the 125 mile (200 km) corridor along the equator is home to seven active volcanoes.
The first stop on your route down the volcanic avenue will be in the Cotopaxi National Park where you'll have the opportunity to admire the breath-taking views of the extremely active Cotopaxi volcano, which soars dramatically out of the almost flat plains beneath it.
You'll then reach Riobamba, a city surrounded by volcanoes including Chimborazo, whose peak is the point furthest from the Earth's core, Tungurahua, Altar and Carihuariazo. In the shadow of these smouldering mountains, you'll spend the night at a typical local hacienda.
Day 2 - Riobamba - Alausí - Devil's Nose - Quito
After a delicious breakfast at the hacienda, you'll head back on board the bus ready for the second day of your tour. Next stop: the picturesque town of Alausí.
From Alausí you'll catch the train to enjoy the hair-raising two hour journey along the Trans-Andean railway in the direction of Sibambe. Considered to have been the most challenging train track to build in the world, it culminates in a vertigo-inducing switchback line zig-zagging up an almost sheer mountain face. An incredible feat of engineering!
Arriving in Sibambe, you'll be left speechless at the view of the mountain that you'll have just descended - you'll soon see why it's called the Nariz del Diablo, or the Devil's Nose.
In the afternoon, you'll take the train back to Alausí, where you'll set off on the return journey to Quito. Your tour will come to an end with hotel drop off around 4 to 5 pm.
- The indicated price per person is based on two people sharing a double room. Reservations for individual travellers staying in single rooms will incur a supplementary charge.
- Access to the Cotopaxi National Park may be affected by volcanic activity. In the case that access is prohibited, you'll instead visit Quilotoa Volcano and its impressive turquoise lagoon.
- The operation of the Devil's Nose Train is subject to modification without prior warning in the case of adverse weather conditions.
Hotel pick up
This tour includes a pick up and drop off service for the main hotels in Quito: Sheraton, Dann Carlton, NH Collection, Swissotel, Holiday Inn, Mercure Alameda, Reina Isabel, Nu House, J.W. Marriott, Howard Johnson and Hilton.
If your hotel is not listed above, or you would prefer to head to the meet point of your own accord, please make your own way to the HOTEL KAIA (located at Valladolid N24-742 and Julio Zaldumbide).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
Children under 3 years oldFree
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
One night bed and breakfast in Riobamba.
Return ticket for the Devil's Nose train.
Lunches and dinners.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Quito local time) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).