Visit the incredible Salinas Grandes salt flat on this day trip from Salta and admire a magnificent "white desert" in the middle of the Andean plateau.
Salinas Grandes Day Trip
Between 7 am and 7:30 am we'll leave Salta behind and set off for the Quebrada del Toro. We'll go on a short hike across its famous viaduct to enjoy the views of this spectacular gorge located in the north of Argentina. From here we'll also marvel at the tracks of the Tren a Las Nubes, meaning "Train to the Clouds", at over 4200 metres, one of the highest in the world!
We'll follow the route to the town of Santa Rosa de Tastil. We'll also stop in San Antonio de los Cobres where you can get something to eat. After lunch, we'll head through other beautiful villages in the area until we reach the Salinas Grandes: the third largest salt flat in South America. We'll explore this spectacular landscape and marvel at the whitish tone of the sodium chloride mixed with turquoise and brown tones. This "white desert" at 4,000 metres above sea level is one of the most breathtaking natural wonders of northern Argentina!
On the way back, we'll stop at the Cuesta del Lipan hill and descend to Purmamarca, where we'll see the famous Cerro de los Siete Colores, meaning the "Hill of Seven Colours". After admiring the scenery and visiting the craft fair in Purmamarca, we'll return to Salta, arriving by around 7:30 pm.
This tour includes pick up from hotels in the centre of Salta. If you're staying elsewhere, we'll pick you up from the following meeting point in Salta: number 45 Calle Buenos Aires.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Per person||under 4|
Per personUS$ 62
under 4not admitted
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by bus or minibus, depending on group size.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Food and drink.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 7 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (you must attend with a carer).
Number 45 Calle Buenos Aires.