Set off on a free walking tour of Santiago de Compostela and discover its emblematic landmarks and its history with an expert English-speaking guide.
Free Walking Tour of Santiago de Compostela
Meet your guide and the rest of the group at Plaza del Obradoiro, heart of this important pilgrimage city.
First, you'll admire the western façade of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, built in the eighteenth century. Your professional guide will also point out the Pazo de Raxoi, a neoclassical palace located in front of the cathedral. And then, marvel at the striking Hostal de Los Reyes Católicos, believed to be the oldest hotel in the world.
Continue the city tour wandering through the squares located behind the cathedral. Learn about the curious history of the Quintana de los Muertos (Square of the Dead) and Quintana de los Vivos (Square of the Living). Next, head to Plaza de Platerías, dominated by a beautiful fountain: Fuente de los Caballos.
This World Heritage Site is full of legends and myths, which your guide will reveal as you wander through its winding streets to the University of Santiago. From here, take the Calle del Franco, a road full of bars and great restaurants. At the end of the street, in the Parque de La Alameda, you’ll come upon an unsual statue of two women: Las dos Marías. This figure is a homage to two sisters who used to walk up and down this street flirting with the students.
The free walking tour will come to an end at the starting point.
- If you’re traveling with over 6 people, please book a private tour. Groups of over 6 people will not be allowed to participate in the Santiago de Compostela Free Walking Tour.
- Minors must always be accompanied by an adult. Each adult can be accompanied by a maximum of three adolescents or children.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialized in the history of Santiago de Compostela.
When to book?
You can book up until 10 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Plaza del Obradoiro.