Visit two of the most important monuments in Sofia – Boyana Church and Rila Monastery. Essential for any trip to the Bulgarian capital!
Boyana Church and Rila Monastery Tour Itinerary
We will meet at the car park in Alexander Nevski Square, where we will catch a bus and head to Boyana, a neighbourhood located to the south of the city.
After a 25-minute journey in which you see the surroundings of the city, we will arrive in Boyana. Our first stop will be the Boyana Church, a small orthodox sanctuary with frescos from three different periods: the 11th century, 13th century and 19th century. You will be amazed by the Italian Renaissance paintings that are a perfect example of the medieval art of Eastern Europe.
We continue our journey, arriving at the monastery of Rila. This is an iconic monument in Sofia for its demonstration of Slavic cultural identity following the Ottoman occupation. We will tour the grounds of this impressive medieval monument with colourful arches and domes that will leave you stunned. Then we enter the interior to see the golden iconostasis carved into wood, one of the largest in the Balkans, and the tomb of the last monarch of Bulgaria, Boris III. Then you'll have around two hours of free time in order to complete your experience and explore the area on your own.
Once we have explored the area, we will return to Sofia at approximately 5:30 pm.
Children under 5 years old
Children under 5 years old are not allowed to participate on this tour.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 40% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 10% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children 5 to 12 years old|
Children 5 to 12 years oldUS$ 28.20
8 hours 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Transport by bus.
Entry to Rila Monastery.
English speaking guide.
Audioguide in English.
Food and drink.
Entry to Boyana Church: € 5 (US$ 5.70) per person.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Sofia local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Aleksander Nevski Square