A World Heritage Site since 1999, Nikko is one of the most beautiful day trips away from the teeming metropolis of Tokyo. On this tour, we'll explore this incredible natural paradise, discovering its main temples and monuments.
Nikko Day Trip
Having picked you up at your hotel, we'll make our way to the Asakusa station, where we'll take the train to get to Nikko, a city found 130 km away from Tokyo.
Once we arrive we'll dive straight into the "Sannai" area, where you can find plenty of temples and sanctuaries constructed completely in harmony with the natural world which surrounds them.
The tour then continues with a visit to the Toshogu temple, Nikko's star attraction, and one of the most famous temples in all Japan. This Shinto Buddhist place of worship takes its name from its dedication to Tokugawa Ieyasu the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate which ruled from 1603 to 1867. It's known as one of the most lavishly decorated temples in all Japan, containing the tomb of Tokugawa Ieyasu, a five storey pagoda, and image such as "The Crying Dragon" and "The Sleeping Cat".
Perhaps the most surprising are the "Three Monkeys" - monkeys embodying what has come to mean "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" - and on the tour you'll discover how, although the phrase itself has a long association with Buddhist and Confucianist thought, it was in fact in this temple where it came to be associated with monkeys!
We'll then tour the beautiful natural surroundings, touring the Taiyuin temple, where the man responsible for the construction of the Toshogu temple is found. And a day trip to Nikko wouldn't be complete without a trip to its most famous bridge, the Shinkyo Bridge (Sacred Bridge), whose red colour contrasts with the green vegetation around it.
Then you'll have free time to eat lunch, and buy souvenirs before we begin the return journey.
The Nikko day trip ends back in Tokyo at around 4:50 pm.
- Although it is possible to take this tour on any day of the week, be aware that on the weekend local tourism makes the site very busy.
- Please bring cash in yen, to pay any additional costs.
If you have the Japan Rail Pass, you'll only have to pay the ticket for the guide, which is 6,000 yen in total. If you do not have the JR pass we'll travel in a normal train, which is 6,000 yen per person and the guide travels for free.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Up to 5 people||Up to 10 people||Up to 15 people|
Up to 5 peopleUS$ 454.90
Up to 10 peopleUS$ 505.40
Up to 15 peopleUS$ 626.70
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Hotel pick up.
Official English speaking guide.
Train ticket (without the JR pass 6000 yen per person).
Tickets and bus in Nikko (2,700 yen per person).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you need help to book an activity or have any enquiries, please contact us.
Yes (imperative to point out when the booking is made).