Enjoy a day hiking through beautiful Patagonia along a hillside path to Refugio Frey, a mountain lodge 5500 feet above sea level. You have a choice of two possible routes so you can adapt the experience in the best way for you.
Catedral Ridge route
At 9 am we will collect you from your hotel and head to the foot of Cerro Catedral mountain, where we will buy the ticket for the cable car (not included). Then for 40 minutes you can sit back, relax, and gaze out at the stunning panoramic views as we ascend to the summit of the mountain.
Once at the summit at more than 6500 feet high, we will set off on our hike over rocky terrain. While we trek for two hours you will have amazing views of Cerro Tronador mountain and the high Andean landscapes.
We will arrive at a place known as "the cancha de futbol" (the soccer field), and from there we will descend to the lagoons of Schmoll and Toncek, which are only separated by a narrow path of small stones.
After circling the lagoons, we will eventually reach the mountain lodge called Refugio Emilio Frey at 5500 feet high. Here, we will rest and recover with a lunch (not included) as you enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
After the break, we will continue our descent along the traditional path, crossing 6 miles of forest of elegant coihue and lenga beech trees, finally arriving back at the original departure point.
The trip finishes at around 6 pm back at Bariloche.
Traditional hiking route
The morning begins in the same way as the first option until we arrive at the bottom of Cerro Catedral mountain. Then, rather than taking the cable car, we will start our trek along the traditional hiking route.
For four hours, we will follow the track as it gradually ascends along gentle slopes. We will pass through forests and cross streams while enjoying beautiful views of lake Gutierrez and Cerro Ventana mountain.
Our hike continues through the valley of Arroyo del Van Titter, which you will see close up as we cross the bridge. You will also witness how the vegetation becomes sparser as we climb higher, eventually revealing the first rock formations of the valley.
The last stretch of the treck will be notably steeper and, at the foot of Frey needle, we will eventually reach the Refugio Emilio Frey mountain refuge. After climbing up through the mountains for 6 miles you will be rewarded with the perfect spot to rest, have some lunch (not included), and gaze out at the stunning views of the Patagonian landscapes that surround us.
After the pause, we will follow the traditional track back to Villa Catedral, which will take between 2 hours and a half, and three hours.
The hike finishes around 6 pm back at Bariloche.
- For both options, it is recommended that participants have a good level of physical fitness.
- If you are pregnant or have a heart condition, please consult us before booking.
- The route along the Catedral Ridge is only done in summer and on days without wind. It is not appropriate for people with vertigo or knee problems.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Per Person||under 12|
Per PersonUS$ 80
under 12not admitted
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
English, Spanish, and Portuguese speaking mountain guide.
Hotel pick up and drop off in Bariloche.
Food (11 euros approx.).
Cable car ticket (22 euros approx.).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).