With this day trip to El Tajín and Papantla, you'll discover the incredible ruins of the ancient Totonac culture and you'll see an amazing aerial show!
El Tajín & Papantla Day Trip
We'll come and pick you up from your hotel in Boca del Río, and we'll head north until we reach of El Tajín.
This archaeological area is one of the best-conserved examples of the Totonac culture. You'll have the chance to see the impressive Los Nichos Pyramid and learn about one of the most important ancient Mexican civilisations.
After discovering the ruins, we'll head to an area with multiple restaurants, and you'll have approximately an hour and a half to have lunch (not included).
Once you've had lunch, you'll have the opportunity to see the Danza de los Voladores de Papantla ritual. In order to help it survive the modern world, UNESCO named this as an Intangible Cultural Heritage. It involves five dancers climbing a 65 feet (20 metres) pole, then four of the five participants launch themselves to the ground, whilst tied with ropes to the pole. The fifth remains on top of the pole, dancing and playing a flute and drum. Legend has it that this ritual was created to ask the gods to end a severe drought. Whether that's true or not, it's an incredible performance to witness!
Next, we'll visit the El Tajín Museum, where your guide will explain more about the fascinating Totonac culture, their lifestyle and traditions.
Our next stop will be in the city of Papantla. Here, you'll enjoy a guided tour, enabling you to discover the most emblematic places including the cathedral and a Totonac mural.
Finally, the tour will come to an end and we'll drop you back at your hotel in Boca del Río at approximately 8:30 pm.
Tour from Veracruz
If you prefer, you can take this tour departing from Veracruz.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 2 and 12 years old||Children under 2 years old|
|Day trip in English||
Day trip in English
Children between 2 and 12 years oldUS$ 69.40
Children under 2 years oldFree
12 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport in an air conditioned vehicle.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Entrance to the places visited.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
You can book up until 48 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.