A cathedral inside a salt mine? Discover the unusual architecture of this unique church on this trip to Zipaquirá, just an hour from Bogota.
Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá Tour
After meeting at the agreed time at the meeting point, we'll head north of Bogota for approximately 60 minutes, until we reach the town of Zipaquirá.
As soon as we arrive, we'll visit the famous Salt Cathedral; a religious temple built within a salt mine. Inside you'll be able to admire the various sculptures and crosses made from salt as well as the marble elements that complete the collection. This truly is a unique church!
As we visit the Salt Cathedral, with a temperature that does not rise above 59 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celcius), you'll also discover some of its most notable features such as the choir, the Stations of the Cross and the water mirrors, plus you'll find out the history of how this temple was built. In 2007 it was named as the first of the Seven Wonders of Colombia due to its incredible adaptation to the geology of the area.
After your free time, we'll head to the historic centre of Zipaquirá where you'll have some free time to explore, eat or visit the Santísima Trinidad Cathedral (more traditionally built from stone and not salt) and its picturesque colonial-style buildings.
Once we've explored the beautiful town, we'll start our trip back to Bogota. On the journey, you'll be able to enjoy the wonderful scenery of the Bogota Savanna- the perfect way to end an excellent trip!
This tour includes a driver that will pick you up from the meeting point in Bogota and take you to the cathedral. However, the tour of the Salt Cathedral will be enjoyed with an audioguide.
The excursion to the Cathedral of Sal de Zipaquirá has two different meet point in Bogotá:
- 8 am: In front of Juan Valdes Café in the Candelaria neighbourhood. If you choose this meet point, we'll finish the tour here around 3 pm.
- 9 am: outside La 93 Park (Parque de La 93). If you choose this meet point the tour will finish here at 2:30 pm
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 7 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 60% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá Tour||
US$ 54.90 US$ 46.60
Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá Tour
Per personUS$ 54.90 US$ 46.60
6 - 7 hours.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in english and spanish.
Transport in an air conditioned vehicle.
Audio guide in the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá.
Entrance to the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá.
Visit to the centre of Zipaquirá.
15% discount on the official ticket price.
When to book?
Bookings are permitted up until 12 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.