Discover the secrets of the biggest city on the Rhine on this free tour of Cologne's unmissable sights. Be seduced by the charm of the historic Town Hall, the Rheingarten, the Cathedral and much more.
Free Walking Tour of Cologne
The tour meets in Domtreppen, the cathedral stairs located in front of Cologne Central Station. From there, we'll head to the Heinzelmännchenbrunnen fountain, so named after some curious gnomes connected to the city of Cologne... mysterious!
Following our route, we'll see more of the city's most iconic monuments, like the Rathaus or City Hall, the Rheingarten, a park beside the River Rhine, and the Fischmarkt or Fish Market Square.
The next stop will be next to a curious monumental fountain known as Willi Ostermann Brunnen, before we stroll past two of Cologne's most outstanding museums, the Wallraf - Richartz and the Kolumba. Wandering onwards, we'll reach Dufthaus 4711. Did you know that this shop is one of Cologne's most famous perfumeries?
We'll then make a stop in front of the EL-DE Haus, former headquarters of the Gestapo. Our free tour will come to an end near the Kölnisches Stadtmuseum and the Römerbrunnen fountain, which also has an intriguing history that we'll discover on the day.
- Groups of over 6 people will not be allowed to participate in the Cologne Free Walking Tour.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is a maximum of three children per adult.
- This free walking tour does not enter any monument, just visiting the outside.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 12 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking expert guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 12 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
Yes (most areas are accessible).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.