Travel back in time to 1492 on this guided tour of Huelva's historic sites: following the trail of Christopher Columbus before he set sail to the Americas.
Christopher Columbus Trail in Huelva
Having been picked up from El Portil on the morning of your tour, you'll set off to the town of La Rábida, located just 40 minutes away. On arrival, you'll begin following in the famous footsteps of Christopher Columbus as he prepared for his expedition across the seas.
The first stop on your tour will be a visit to the Friary of La Rábida. This peaceful monastery was home to Columbus after his proposal to set sail on the ocean was rejected by the monarchs, and it was here that he organised the last details of the trip that would make him a household name. Hear all about the fierce negotiations that he had to make with the Catholic Monarchs in order to finance the voyage.
Continuing your guided tour of La Rábida, you'll visit the Wharf of the Caravels, a museum showcasing a recreation of the port from which Columbus set sail, where you'll be left speechless by the lifesize replicas of La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, the three wooden ships which left Palos de la Frontera in 1492.
The Wharf of the Caravels is located on the confluence of the Odiel and Tinto Rivers, where you'll also see an imposing monument dedicated to Columbus. At the end of your Christopher Columbus Trail in La Rábida, you'll head on the road back to El Portil.
Pick up points and times
This excursion includes a pick up service from the following hotels in El Portil:
- Hotel Nuevo Portil Golf: (9:10 am).
- Playacartaya Spa Hotel: (9:10 am).
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 11 years old||Children under 4 years old|
Children between 4 and 11 years oldUS$ 22.90
Children under 4 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Transport by air conditioned coach.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to monuments visited.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (El Portil local time) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).