Located in the region of Franconia, Nuremberg is a city with hundreds of stories to tell. Join us on this free walking tour around the historical centre, exploring medieval buildings, squares, fountains, art and a castle.
Free Walking Tour of Nuremberg
We'll meet in the centre of Nuremberg to start our tour along the banks of the River Pegnitz. You'll only need to look up to discover Hauptmarkt, the city's main market. Did you know that this has been the commercial heart of the city since the Middle Ages? We'll wander through this area full of colours, aromas and flavours, and of course, we won't leave until we've heard the famous chiming of the bells at the Church of Our Lady. Don't forget to make a wish at the Schöner Brunnen fountain!
We'll continue our walking tour through the San Lorenzo neighbourhood, feeling like we've stepped back in time as we discover its fountains, bridges and bourgeois residences. We'll also stop outside the medieval St. Lorenz church which hides a long history...
From there we'll walk to the Hospital of the Holy Spirit, a building on the banks of the river. Here, our expert tour guide will tell us all about Till Eulenspiegel, a popular character among locals.
Our tour won't just be about medieval times, but we'll also discover the city's more recent history, such as the history of the Jewish community at the Hans-Sachs-Platz Synagogue and we'll head into the St Sebaldus neighbourhood to discover its eye-catching church and the new town hall. We'll soon be near the Castle, one of the city's central hubs.
We'll step back in time again and finally reach Albrecht Dürer's House: a master Renaissance painter, engraver and print maker who changed the concept of art at the end of the Middle Ages. Today his house has become a museum dedicated to his life and works.
- At the end of the tour, you'll be able to tip our expert guide based on how much you think it was worth.
- This walking tour is not available for groups of more than 6 people.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (7:45 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 5 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Frauenkirche, in the Hauptmarkt Square
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.