The Monte Albán archaeological sites are absolute must-sees for any visitor to Oaxaca. On this tour, you'll explore some of the most important archaeological sites in Zapotec culture.
Mount Alban Day Trip
Having picked you up from your hotel at the indicated time, we hit the road towards Mount Alban. This archaeological site, found only 10 km from the city of Oaxaca, is one of the most important sites in Zapotec culture.
The magnitude of the place is apparent as soon as you arrive, and with an expert guide you'll explore the ancient site. As you hear the numerous legends surrounding its long history, you'll visit pyramids, temples and altars, as well as the many residential structures congregated around the great square.
The ceremonial centre of Mount Alban was one of the most important religious sites in Mesoamerica, and served as the Zapotec capital. And on this tour, you'll learn all about the culture and history behind this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3-hour excursion around Mount Alban finishes back at the hotels of Oaxaca around 1 pm.
If you want to extend the experience, and get to know even more about Zapotec history and culture, you can choose the eight-hour excursion. On this tour, as well as exploring the ruins of Mount Alban, we'll visit several of the most traditional Oaxacan villages.
We'll head to San Antonio Arrazola, a village where their artisans will teach us the techniques used in their copal wood carvings. Then we'll continue our route through Cuilápam de Guerrero, a Mixtec town with a 16th-century Dominican monastery, one of the most famous colonial buildings in the region. And to top off the day, we'll make our way to the little town of San Bartolo Coyotepec, known for its adobe mudbrick houses, and the use of black clay to make typical Oaxacan pottery.
If you choose this option, we'll be back at the hotels of Oaxaca around 6 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 3 to 9||Children under 3|
|3 hour tour||
US$ 18.70 US$ 16.80
US$ 14 US$ 12.60
|8 hour tour||
US$ 25.90 US$ 23.30
US$ 19.50 US$ 17.50
3 hour tour
AdultsUS$ 18.70 US$ 16.80
Children from 3 to 9US$ 14 US$ 12.60
Children under 3Free
8 hour tour
AdultsUS$ 25.90 US$ 23.30
Children from 3 to 9US$ 19.50 US$ 17.50
Children under 3Free
* The price increases on the 31 March
3 hours - 8 hours.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and Spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Entry to the Mount Alban archaeological site.
10% discount on the official ticket price.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 11 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).