Immerse yourself in the culture of this region of Mexico, visiting the frozen waterfalls of Hierve el Agua, a unique natural sight. And you'll also visit Teotitlán del Valle, home to Mexico's textile tradition.
Having picked you up from your hotel, we'll hit the road southeast from Oaxaca, arriving at one of the most impressive sights in all Mexico: the frozen waterfalls of Hierve el Agua. Found in the town of San Isidro de Roaguía, you'll enjoy the stunning views that these two natural falls offer: one from a height of 100 feet (30 metres) and the other 40 (12).
Surrounded by a wealth of lush vegetation, this natural wonder was formed more than 2,500 years ago, due to the saturation of calcium carbonate in the water falling from the clifftops above. These falls are considered a sacred place by the Zapotec people, and the rock dissolved within the water was deposited as it fell, leaving a spectacular 'frozen' image.
During the visit you will have the opportunity to bathe in the natural pools above the falls, and enjoy the paradise landscapes of the Madre del Sur mountain range.
Our tour then continues, to discover how mezcal, the state's typical drink, is made. The region has 120 of the 210 varieties of agave, or maguey, that exist worldwide. And you can see how this plant is used to produce mezcal, as well as tasting the different types made in the region. All of this comes, of course with a typical Oaxaca lunch (not included).
After lunch, we'll make our way northwards to Teotitlán del Valle, an area filled with colours and famous for the beauty of its textiles. Found half an hour away from Oaxaca, this town conserves many traditional Zapotec traditions, and you can see the traditional production of wool products, as they make bags, blankets, clothes and more. All of this comes decorated with traditional dyes, and mixes traditional Zapotec design with more contemporary style.
Having explored Teotitlán del Valle, we'll begin our return journey to the hotels of Oaxaca, with the tour ending in your hotel around 6 pm.
During Easter, July, Halloween and Christmas, different pick up points will be offered according to your location due to traffic congestion. The local provider will contact you to indicate an exact pick up point:
- San Felipe del Agua: Hotel Angel Inn.
- Santa Lucía: Door of the CCO (Oaxaca Convention Center).
- North Zone: Corner of Juárez el Llano Park.
- Southern area: in front of the Hotel Hacienda.
- East: Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de La Merced
- West: San José Chapel
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 11 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children from 3 to 9||Children under 3|
Children from 3 to 9US$ 23.50
Children under 3Free
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until 11 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.