See the majestic humpback whales as they swim by your side in the sanctuary of the Samaná Bay. You can admire these enormous aquatic mammals in the environment where they head every year to reproduce.
Whale Watching in Samaná
First thing in the morning we'll leave your hotel in Punta Cana and head to the Samaná Bay, and once in the dock, we'll embark on a boat to begin our search for humpback whales along the north coast of the Dominican Republic.
Between January and March each year, more than 2,000 whales head to the Samaná bay to reproduce or give birth. During the boat ride, we'll head to the Banco de Plata, a protected marine reserve where you can find whales and other aquatic mammals such as dolphins. We'll sail through this paradise landscape while we enjoy the acrobatics and courting songs of the humpback whales looking for a mate.
At midday, we'll make our way to Cayo Levantado: a paradise island in the Samaná bay where you can enjoy a delicious buffet lunch. Then after eating, if you've chosen the option with the El Limón falls, we'll head to the Samaná port, from where we'll make our way to the famous waterfall, found in the interior of the peninsula. If you don't choose this option, you can simply enjoy Cayo Levantado for longer.
Those who choose to visit El Limón will also take part in a horseback ride around the area. Then they will relax with free time to take a dip in the waterfall's natural pool - before heading back to the Samaná city port to take the boat back to Cayo Levantado to meet up with the rest of the group. From the islands, we'll return to the Cañitas port, and from here take the bus back to Punta Cana.
The tour returns to the hotels around 5 pm.
Types of Tour
In the second part of the tour we'll take you to a different part of the Samaná peninsula, to relax and fully enjoy one of the most beautiful regions of the republic. You can choose either of the following two options:
Cayo Levantado: we'll take you to a beautiful, tiny, paradise island where we'll offer you a delicious lunch made up of typical local dishes. Afterwards you'll have free time to sunbathe and swim as you relax on its dreamy beaches.
El Salto Del Limón: The Limón waterfalls are some of the most spectacular in the Caribbean, at 50 metres tall and with a stunning natural pool below. Here you can swim and enjoy a typical Dominican lunch, before having free time to enjoy your surroundings.
The best time of year to see humpback whales in Samaná begins in January and ends in March. Having said this, wild animals are unpredictable and you can't always see the same number of examples.
This excursion includes hotel pick up in the following areas: Bávaro, Punta Cana, Uvero Alto, Cap Cana and Bayahibe.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 40% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 25% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 3 to 11||Children under 3|
|Whale Watching + Limón Waterfall||
Children from 3 to 11US$ 67.50
Children under 3Free
Whale Watching + Limón Waterfall
Children from 3 to 11US$ 72.50
Children under 3Free
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide guide.
Whale watching cruise.
Buffet lunch in Cayo Levantado.
Cruise on the Samaná bay.
Horseback ride (only with the limón falls option).
When to book?
You can book up until the previous day (11:59 pm) if there are still places available. Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.