Impressive natural landscapes and fascinating history: explore Quebrada de Humahuaca and the picturesque towns of Pucará de Tilcara and Uquía on this excursion from Purmamarca.
Quebrada de Humahuaca Excursion
Between 10:15 am and 10:30 am on the day of the tour, we'll pick you up from your hotel in Purmamarca and leave behind the town and its impressive views of the Hill of the Seven Colours. We'll set off to explore the Quebrada de Humahuaca, heading towards Maimará, a small village nestled in the shadow of the Paleta del Pintor, or the "Painter's Palette", another spectacular multi-coloured rock formation.
We'll make our way towards Pucará de Tilcara, the archaeological site of a pre-Inca fortification that dates back to the 12th century. Enjoying a guided tour of the historic fortress, we'll discover its history and learn fascinating facts about the Omaguaca tribe who founded it.
The next stop on our tour will be Uquía, and you'll have free time here to explore at your leisure. Don't miss a visit to the Church of San Francisco de Paula to see its famous paintings of the "Ángeles arcabuceros", angels depicted with arquebus firearms.
Meeting back up again, we'll make a stop on the Tropic of Capricorn, the southernmost latitude where the sun can be directly overhead. After taking photos next to the monuments marking the circle of latitude, we'll next travel to Humahuaca.
This small city, the largest in the valley, gives the Quebrada de Humahuaca its name. We'll explore its historic centre, admiring important monuments such as the Heroes of the Independence Monument and the Tower of Santa Barbara. You'll then have an hour of free time for lunch (not included).
After eating, we'll make the return journey to Purmamarca, where you'll be dropped back off at around 4 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 2 years old|
Children under 2 years oldFree
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by minibus.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (7:00 PM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).