Leave urban Quito behind and lose yourself in Ecuador's natural beauty. Discover Cotopaxi, one of the world's highest active volcanoes, and marvel at the turquoise waters of Quilotoa Lagoon, a volcanic caldera.
Cotopaxi & Quilotoa Volcanoes Excursion Itinerary
After being picked up from your hotel at 6:55 in the morning, you'll leave Quito behind and head south on the Pan-American Highway. During the tour, we'll admire the Andes ecosystems and landscapes and you'll have the opportunity to drink the local tea that prevents altitude sickness. Don't worry about this as we have devices to measure the pressure, you just have to enjoy the ride!
The first step that you'll make will be in the Cotopaxi National Park, home to one of the world's highest active volcanoes. The park is Ecuador's second most important tourist attraction, beaten only by the Galapagos Islands in popularity.
Crossing the green páramo of the national park, you'll arrive at the flanks of the majestic Cotopaxi Volcano. Here, you'll have the opportunity to visit the park's museum and the Limpiopungo Lagoon, a stunning example of the imprint left by the ancient eruptions of the volcano. After a relaxed walk (if weather conditions allow it), you'll reach a forest of chuquiragas - a species of flower native to the Andes, which feed local hummingbirds - located almost 13,800 feet (4200 m) above sea level.
Returning to the highway, you'll make your way southwest, arriving at the Quilotoa Volcano. The furthest west of Ecuador's volcanoes, the beautiful turquoise water-filled caldera was formed over 600 years ago after the volcano's devastating eruption. The dramatic scenery of the paradise lagoon is one of the country's most spectacular sights. A short hike (dependant on weather conditions) will bring you to the Quilotoa viewpoint, from which you'll enjoy an unforgettable panoramic view over Quilotoa Lagoon, one of the world's most beautiful volcanic lakes.
You'll then have free time to have lunch (not included) before taking the road back to Quito. The tour will end with drop off back at your hotel at about 7 pm.
Option Without Pick Up
If you would prefer to make your own way to the meet point, you should head to the Hotel Kaia (Valladolid N24-742 y Julio Zaldumbide) for 6:55 am.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
|Tour with pick up||
|Tour without pick up||
Tour with pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
Tour without pick up
Children under 3 years oldFree
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Transport by air conditioned bus.
Entrance to Cotopaxi National Park.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (5:00 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).