Explore the spectacular Swiss Alps on this day trip to Mount Pilatus from Zurich. Hike to the peak, travel on the world's steepest cogwheel train and ride a panoramic cable car for unparalleled views over the mountains.
Mount Pilatus Day Trip
We'll leave the Sihlquai Bus Terminal parking at 9:30 am. You'll set off in the direction of Lucerne by bus, crossing over the Albis Pass and drive alongside the banks of the Lake of the Four Cantons. During the journey, you'll make a stop to take photos of the stunning Alpine landscapes, before reaching the city itself. Here your guide will take the opportunity to tell you all about its most important places of interest, like the Chapel Bridge and the Jesuit Church. You'll then have free time in Lucerne to explore its beautiful Old Town at your own pace.
After visiting Lucerne, you'll hop back on the bus and continue on your journey to Kriens, where you'll take a cable car ride. From your gondola, you'll have spectacular views over the mystical forests of Krienseregg as you travel up the mountainside to Fräkmüntegg. There, you'll climb aboard the Dragon Ride, an aerial cableway whose panoramic windows will give you the breath-taking feeling that you're flying over the Swiss Alps.
Once you've reached the top of Mount Pilatus, at almost 7000 feet in height (2,131 metres), you'll have the choice between walking down the mysterious Dragon Trail or enjoying the short hike to the summit. Don't forget your camera to take photos of the incomparable views of the lakes and mountains around you! You'll also have time to eat lunch at one of the restaurants on Mount Pilatus (not included).
Having explored Mount Pilatus to your heart's content, it'll be time to head back down the mountain. You'll descend to Alpnachstad on the steepest cogwheel train the world, before putting the finishing touch on an unforgettable day enjoying a boat cruise on the Lake of the Four Cantons to see the Swiss Alps from a new perspective.
Finally, you'll return to your original meeting point in Zurich at around 7 pm.
- If you reserve this excursion between 25 October and 12 November, you'll ascend to and descend from the peak of Mount Pilatus via the cogwheel train. During this period, the activity does not include the boat trip, but lunch is included.
- If you do the day trip between 13 and 21 November, you'll reach the peak of Mount Pilatus by cable car and descend on the cogwheel train. Again, this won't include the boat ride and you'll enjoy lunch instead.
During 2020, the activities included in this excursion are only operational on the following dates:
- Dragon Ride Cable Car: throughout the year, except between October 25th and November 12th, 2021 (maintenance period).
- Cogwheel train: between the beginning of May and November 21st, 2021.
- Boat trip: between May 1st and October 17th, 2021.
- Food Ticket (20 Fr (US$ 21.70) per adult and 10 Fr (US$ 10.90) per child): between October 18th, 2021 and the beginning of May 2022.
- Guide in English, Spanish and German: In April 2021, and between November 22nd 2021 and early May 2022.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 6 and 15 years old||Children under 6 years old|
Children between 6 and 15 years oldUS$ 83.60
Children under 6 years oldFree
9 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, and other language.
English, Spanish and German speaking guide.
Transport by bus.
Dragon Ride cable car.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
You can book up until 11 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How much free time will we have in Lucerna? Enough to explore the old town?
A - You will have between 50 and 60 minutes in Lucerna, depending on when the tour arrives in the city. This should be enough time to explore the old town.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Sihlquai bus terminal.