Perched on sandstone rock formations, the Meteora Monasteries are spectacular buildings that blend with the natural landscape. Visit them on an excursion by train from Athens.
Meteora Day Trip
Begin your day trip from the Athens railway station at 8:20 am, (7:20 from the 20th of May onwards) when your train will depart at that time to Kalambaka, where you will arrive around 1:30 pm (11:30 am from the 20th of May).
Meet your English-speaking guide who will be waiting for you at the exit of the Kalambaka railway station. Hop on a comfortable bus and you will be driven to the stunning Meteora Monasteries. During the 20-minute trip, your chauffeur will reveal the history of these abbeys, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Upon arrival at the peaks of these giant rocks, you’ll have three hours to discover the monasteries at your own pace, drinking in the majesty of these religious sites perched high upon the rocks. The complex is made up of a total of six priories: Monastery of St. Nikolaos, Monastery of Holy Trinity, Monastery of St. Stephen, Monastery of Roussanou, Monastery of Varlaam and Monastery of Great Meteoron. All the cloisters are of medieval origin and are built on various sandstone mounds, which dominate the surrounding landscape.
Once the three hours are up, your driver will take you back to Kalambaka station, where you can enjoy a delicious lunch at any of the restaurants near the station. Your train departs at 5:30 pm and you will be back in Athens at around 9:30 pm.
- A few days before the excursion, your local supplier will send you an email with your train tickets. You must print them and make your way to the railway station on the day of the activity.
- Your train to Meteora departs at 8:20 am (7:20 am from the 20th of May) from Athens railway station. To make sure you don’t miss the train, we recommend getting there at least half an hour before departure time.
- The admission ticket to each monastery is 3 euros per person. This cost is not included in the price of the tour.
- All monasteries have a strict dress code: neither women nor men are not allowed to wear shorts or tank tops.
- When making your reservation, please take into account that the Meteoro monastery closes every Tuesday. If your reservation is for this day, you will enjoy the monument from the outside.
|Adults||Children from 4 to 12||Children under 4|
|Meteora Day Trip by Train||
Meteora Day Trip by Train
Children from 4 to 12US$ 80.4
Children under 4Free
The tour is exclusively in English.
Return train tickets to and from Kalambaka.
Return transfer by bus from the Kalambaka train station to the Meteora Monasteries.
English speaking tour guide.
VIP Limo Mini Bus with free wifi.
Hotel pick up.
Admission tickets to the Meteora Monasteries (3 euros per person for each monastery).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Athens local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Athens railway station