Break out your boots and go hiking in the Serra de Malagueta Natural Park! Here you'll cut through the island vegetation and discover Gongon and Espinho Branco, two of the island's most traditional villages.
Serra de Malagueta Hike
We'll pick you up at 9 am from your accommodation in Praia, and from there hit the road to the Serra de Malagueta Natural Park, an hour and a quarter away. Then from there, you'll have the volcanic Fogo island at your feet - an unforgettable sight!
Over the course of five hours, we'll hike through the national park, discovering its spectacular greenery. We'll explore the Main river, before arriving at our first stop of the day: Gongon. Here the inhabitants of the village will teach you about the most ancient traditions of Santiago Island, which are still kept alive here today.
Then we'll continue our day immersed in nature, exploring the Serra de Malagueta until we get to Espinho Branco, with stunning views of the sea. Here you'll meet the rabelados, a religious community that have been living in isolation since 1942, and find out why they choose to do so!
At the end of the hike, you'll have a well-deserved picnic lunch waiting for you, made up of sandwiches, water, juice, fruit and dessert. Then we'll head back to Praia by bus, before accompanying you back to the hotel and putting an end to the excursion at around 4 pm.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 15 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 60% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|English Language Tour||
English Language Tour
Per personUS$ 82.80
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Bus or minibus transport.
English speaking guide.
Picnic style lunch.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not advisable for people with reduced mobility).