On this tour of Santiago island, you'll discover the very heart of Cape Verde. Visit the towns of Assomada and Tarrafal, as well as trying some of its typical grogue.
Santiago Island Tour
We'll pick you up from your hotel in Praia at 9 am, hitting the road and heading inland into Santiago island. We'll pass through Picos, where we'll stop to try locally made grogue, a white rum made from cane sugar. And of course, you'll see the Pico de Antonia - the tallest mountain on the island.
Once we arrive at Assomada, we'll explore its market, packed with fruit, vegetables and fresh fish. Then back on the road we'll cross the Serra de Malagueta Natural Park, on the road leading us to our next destination: Tarrafal.
In this quaint fishing village, we'll find the most idyllic of all the beaches in Cape Verde. But with a dark side: this palm-lined paradise was home to a concentration camp during the Second World War. We'll discover its history in the Museum of the Resistance, then you'll have an hour of free time to enjoy the beach and go for a swim.
Then we'll head back to Praia via stunning bays and deserted beaches. And at 5 pm we'll be back at your accommodation, with an unforgettable day in Santiago behind you.
Tour With Lunch
When you make the reservation you'll have the option to choose a tour with lunch. The itinerary of this tour will be the same, but will include a typical lunch in a restaurant in Tarrafal. This meal will be made up of fried fish, stuffed tuna or grouper, and vegetables, salad, water, and coffee. And while you're tasting these dishes, you'll enjoy stunning views of the Atlantic.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 60% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 6 and 11 years old||Children under 6|
|Tour with lunch||
Children between 6 and 11 years oldUS$ 47.30
Children under 6Free
Tour with lunch
Children between 6 and 11 years oldUS$ 59.20
Children under 6Free
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Bus or minibus transport.
English speaking guide.
Entry to the Museum of the Resistance.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 48 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not advisable for people with reduced mobility).