Discover the first Portuguese city in Africa. In Cidade Velha, you'll find a ruined cathedral, the old slave market and a pirate-proof fort.
Cidade Velha Day Trip
We'll pick you up at around 9 am from your accommodation in Praia, hitting the road to Cidade Velha, the first Portuguese city in Africa. Here you'll visit the San Felipe Fort, 120 metres above sea level it was constructed to defend the city against the attacks of pirates, including one by Francis Drake himself!
In the centre of the city still stand the ruins of the cathedral, the inside of which will take you straight back to the 16th century. Then we'll head for the main square, which was once the slave market. Here you'll also see the Pelourinho, where public executions were held.
And no tour of Cidade Velha would be complete without exploring the emblematic Banana street, with its striking houses, as well as the fifteenth-century church of Our Lady of the Rosary.
We'll then make our way to a local restaurant for lunch of grilled fish, with dessert and coffee. Then the tour makes its way back to Praia, from where we'll accompany you back to your hotel, arriving at around 3:30 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 60% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 6 to 11 years old||Children under 6|
|English Language Tour||
English Language Tour
Children from 6 to 11 years oldUS$ 47.10
Children under 6Free
6 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Bus or minibus transport.
English speaking guide.
Entry to the cathedral.
Entry to the church of Our Lady of the Rosary.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 48 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not advisable for people with reduced mobility).