Discover Quito's historic centre and learn the secrets of its cultural heritage on this guided walking tour of the Ecuadorian capital. What's more, it's FREE!
Free Walking Tour of Quito
The tour meets at the Parque de la Alameda, at 9 am. From there we'll begin a route through 15 centuries of a city built in the image of the constellation of the sacred jaguar.
Stroll around the beautiful historic centre, getting to know the most important monuments in the Ecuadorian capital, which unites the Northern and Southern hemispheres. And you'll marvel at the Pichincha volcano, which rises 4,784 metres above sea level, and whose most recent eruption in 1999 covered Quito's sky for two full weeks!
As you admire the city's colonial architecture, your free walking tour guide will reveal all about the fascinating ancient wisdom of the indigenous people who lived here, and who created the first solar calendar.
Marvel at historic pagan temples, which, although converted to be Christian churches, still produce magical light effects when the sun hits them during the winter and summer solstices.
Continue wandering through the city's winding alleys, once part of a more than 37,000 mile (60,000 km) network of roads through the Andes that are still used to this day. Your guide will reveal fascinating tales about Quito, including the story of Ruminñahui, the head of the Inca army who ordered that the city be burnt to the ground so that the Spanish could not conquer it.
As legends go, it was this general who also hid all the Inca gold, prompting the myths of El Dorado... it still hasn't been found to this day.
The free tour of Quito then ends in the Plaza de Santo Domingo following approximately three hours.
This tour does not accept bookings for more than 6 people. If you're a larger group, you'll need to book a private tour of Quito.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (you must attend with a carer).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Parque de la Alameda.