You can't leave Rovaniemi without experiencing a traditional Finnish sauna, heated with a wood-burner. Enjoy the full ritual, including bathing in a frozen lake to cool off!
Finnish Sauna Experience
Having been picked up from your hotel, you'll leave the city of Rovaniemi and head to a unique spot with one important goal: to relax.
On reaching the truly authentic Lappish setting, marvel at the beautiful icy lake and its forest surroundings. A spectacular sight, especially at nightfall. Before you take a dip into the freezing waters, you'll enjoy a typically Finnish experience: a traditional sauna.
A traditional Finnish sauna is a wooden cabin heated by a wood-burning stove, in which temperatures can reach up to 176–230 °F (80–110 °C). Their use is considered essential to physical and mental health in Finland, and the total number of saunas in the country equals an average of one per household. It's only right to complete the full sauna ritual: enjoying the heat before plunging into the icy lake next to it, or rolling around in the snow!
For the finishing touch, you'll enjoy a barbecue dinner with typical Lappish grilled meat, accompanied by a delicious cranberry tea. After your meal, you'll be taken back to your hotel in Rovaniemi.
From September to May, it may be possible to see the Aurora Borealis while you bathe in the frozen lake. However, if you do this activity in the summer months (between May and October) you'll be able to see the midnight sun instead. Either way, please bear in mind that as it is a natural phenomenon, we cannot guarantee that the Aurora Borealis will be visible.
If you need to, you can hire a swimming costume at the sauna for €15.00.
Hotel pick up
The activity will begin between 7 pm and 9 pm. The local tour provider will contact you directly to confirm your exact pick up time. Hotel pick up is included from accommodation located within a 6 mile (10 km) radius of Rovaniemi city centre.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 8 people per group.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 4 and 14 years old||Children under 4 years old|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Children between 4 and 14 years oldUS$ 60.30
Children under 4 years oldFree
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (7:00 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).