Immerse yourself in the natural paradise of Santa Cruz Island on this unmissable tour: enjoy mountain biking through Cerro Mesa Ecological Reserve and relaxing on the beautiful Garrapatero Beach.
Cerro Mesa and Garrapatero Bike & Beach Tour
Having been picked up from your hotel in Puerto Ayora, you'll head to the highlands of Santa Cruz Island. Surrounded by lush green trees, you'll climb onto your mountain bike and set off to discover the incredible biodiversity of the Galapagos.
Cruising along the mountain trails on two wheels, you'll delve deep into the Cerro Mesa Ecological Reserve, marvelling at the vibrant plants and flowers and spotting the wildlife as you pedal. Its hilly location at over 1200 feet (390 metres) above sea level means you'll get to enjoy unparalleled views over the islands of the Galapagos archipelago.
After making the most of your mountain biking tour, you'll get back into the car for the journey to Playa de Garrapatero, a virgin beach where you'll find one of the island's largest stretches of sand. Having settled on the beautiful beach, you'll take a well-earned break to enjoy your delicious picnic lunch. Can you imagine anything better than grilled fish with a sea view?
Then, after lunch, you'll have the rest of the afternoon free to explore Garrapatero Beach at your leisure. Discover the various animals native to the region, take part in some water sports (not included), or simply sunbathe on the beach! Not far from the seafront, you'll be able to visit a lagoon where you're likely to see flamingos and ducks in their natural habitat.
Following a full day of nature in one of the most beautiful areas of the Galapagos Islands, you'll make the return journey to Puerto Ayora, where you'll be dropped off at your hotel.
- The mountain biking route is suitable for most people regardless of physical fitness. However, if you'd prefer to do the entire route by car, just tell the guide on the day of the excursion.
- Throughout the year, there is usually light rain in this area of Cerro Mesa.
Hotel pick up
This tour includes a pick up and drop off service at around 7:45 am from the main hotels in Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz Island: Flamingo, Red Booby, Mainao, Galapagos Suites, Fernandina, Villa Laguna, Isla Sol, SolyMar, Angermeyer and Royal Palm. The local tour provider will contact you to confirm the exact pick up time.
If your hotel is not in the above pick up area, please make your way to the meeting point at Hotel Maidith White Cove (Cucuve and Floreana Streets) for 8 am.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 25% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children under 3 years old|
Children under 3 years oldFree
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English speaking guide.
Mountain biking in Cerro Mesa (or car tour if preferred).
Picnic lunch including grilled fish and a drink.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (6:00 AM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.