Delve into the colonial history of the Dominican Republic on this free walking tour of Santo Domingo's Ciudad Colonial and discover its most emblematic monuments.
Free Walking Tour of Ciudad Colonial
After meeting up at your selected time in Plaza de España, also known as Plaza de la Hispanidad, we'll begin our free walking tour of Santo Domingo's Ciudad Colonial, or "Colonial City".
The first stop on our guided tour will be the ruins of the Monastery of San Francisco, where we'll learn all about the history of the monastery, considered to be the oldest in the Americas.
We'll then continue onwards to the ruins of the San Nicolás de Bari Hospital. Built at the beginning of the 16th century, this is recognised by UNESCO as being the oldest hospital in the Americas.
Next, we'll make stops to admire the façade of the Church and Convent of the Dominican Order and the architecture of the Cathedral of Santa María la Menor, a beautiful fusion of Gothic, Mudejar, Renaissance and Plateresque styles.
Having strolled past the Palacio Consistorial, we'll reach the lively city square known as Parque Colón, where our hour-long free walking tour of the Ciudad Colonial will end.
This free walking tour cannot be booked for groups larger than 6 people.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 3% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 3% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Santo Domingo).
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 5 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
Yes (you must attend with a carer).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Plaza de España.