Explore the spectacular Swiss Alps on this day trip to Mount Pilatus from Zurich. Hike to the peak, travel on the world's steepest cogwheel train and ride a panoramic cable car for unparalleled views over the mountains.
Mount Pilatus Day Trip
We'll leave the Sihlquai Bus Terminal parking at 9:30 am. You'll set off in the direction of Lucerne by bus, crossing over the Albis Pass and drive alongside the banks of the Lake of the Four Cantons. During the journey, you'll make a stop to take photos of the stunning Alpine landscapes, before reaching the city itself. Here your guide will take the opportunity to tell you all about its most important places of interest, like the Chapel Bridge and the Jesuit Church. You'll then have free time in Lucerne to explore its beautiful Old Town at your own pace.
After visiting Lucerne, you'll hop back on the bus and continue on your journey to Kriens, where you'll take a cable car ride. From your gondola, you'll have spectacular views over the mystical forests of Krienseregg as you travel up the mountainside to Fräkmüntegg. There, you'll climb aboard the Dragon Ride, an aerial cableway whose panoramic windows will give you the breath-taking feeling that you're flying over the Swiss Alps.
Once you've reached the top of Mount Pilatus, at almost 7000 feet in height (2,131 metres), you'll have the choice between walking down the mysterious Dragon Trail or enjoying the short hike to the summit. Don't forget your camera to take photos of the incomparable views of the lakes and mountains around you! You'll also have time to eat lunch at one of the restaurants on Mount Pilatus (not included).
Having explored Mount Pilatus to your heart's content, it'll be time to head back down the mountain. You'll descend to Alpnachstad on the steepest cogwheel train the world, before putting the finishing touch on an unforgettable day enjoying a boat cruise on the Lake of the Four Cantons to see the Swiss Alps from a new perspective.
Finally, you'll return to your original meeting point in Zurich at around 7 pm.
- If you reserve this excursion between 21 October and 8 November, you'll ascend to and descend from the peak of Mount Pilatus via the cogwheel train. During this period, the activity does not include the boat trip, but lunch is included.
- If you do the day trip between 9 and 17 November, you'll reach the peak of Mount Pilatus by cable car and descend on the cogwheel train. Again, this won't include the boat ride and you'll enjoy lunch instead.
During 2020, the activities included in this excursion are only operational on the following dates:
- Dragon Ride Cable Car: all year round, except between 19 October and 6 November 2020 (maintenance work).
- Cogwheel train: from the beginning of May until 15 November.
- Boat trip: from 2 May to 18 October.
- Food Ticket (20 Swiss francs per adult and 10 per child): between 19 October 2020 and the beginning of May 2021.
- Guide in English, Spanish and German: between 2 May and 15 November.
|Adults||Children between 6 and 15 years old||Children under 6 years old|
Children between 6 and 15 years oldUS$ 76
Children under 6 years oldFree
* The price increases on the 31 March
9 hours 30 minutes.
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
English, Spanish and German speaking guide.
Transport by bus.
Dragon Ride cable car.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 3 days before (Zurich local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How much free time will we have in Lucerna? Enough to explore the old town?
A - You will have between 50 and 60 minutes in Lucerna, depending on when the tour arrives in the city. This should be enough time to explore the old town.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Sihlquai bus terminal.