Paddle around Costa Rica's largest lake surrounded by volcanoes and jungle on this kayak tour of Lake Arenal. Watch out for local wildlife like otters, caimans and exotic birds!
Lake Arenal Kayak Tour
After being picked up from your hotel, you'll set off on the short drive to the Arenal Dam. Locally known as "El Tapón", or "The Plug", the dam was built in 1979, expanding the lake to be the biggest in Costa Rica and burying two towns underwater in the process.
Arriving at the lakeside, you'll climb into your kayak and your guide will give you a short safety briefing so you can paddle around the lake without having to worry about anything but enjoying yourself!
Throughout the two-hour kayak tour, you'll be immersed in the beautiful nature of Costa Rica, cruising across the peaceful lake while surrounded by the magnificent volcanic landscapes. What's more, you'll have the opportunity to spot some of the incredible animals that live here, from otters to caimans to the aquatic birds that inhabit the tiny islets.
At the end of your kayaking adventure, you'll be treated to a delicious snack of tropical fruits: the perfect finishing touch!
Finally, you'll be taken back to your hotel in Arenal.
Hotel pick up
This tour includes a pick up and drop off service from the main hotels in Arenal. If your accommodation is located very far from La Fortuna or from the main highway to the Arenal Volcano, you'll be informed of an alternative meeting point.
Children under 12 years old are not permitted to participate in this activity.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Per personUS$ 82.50
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) guided tour.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 4 days before (Arenal local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).