Explore the picturesque canals of the so-called Portuguese Venice when you take our traditional moliceiro boat trip along the Aveiro.
What is a moliceiro boat?
A moliceiro is a traditional vessel which is found on the Aveiro River, similar to a Venetian gondola. The long, slim body allows it to move easily along the narrow canals of the city.
The moliceiro is named such because, historically, it was used to transport and collect the Moliço, a type of alga which thrives in these regions and which is used as fertilizer.
Our traditional boat trip along through Aveiro starts at the dock in the Largo do Jardim do Rossio. Throughout the journey, we will learn about the differences between the two main boats that cruise the canals - the moliceiro vessel and the mercantile vessel - and their origins and history.
During the journey in the moliceiro we will pass some of the most iconic locations of Aveiro, such as the Art Nouveau style buildings that line the banks of the canal, the Averio salt pan, the traditional fishermen's neighborhood of Beira-Mar, the Jerónimo P. Campos ceramics factory, and the Fish Market.
Our itinerary concludes returning to the same point from where we departed.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 70% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 70% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children from 5 to 12 years old||Children under 5 years old|
|Moliceiro boat trip||
US$ 15.80 US$ 14.50
Moliceiro boat trip
AdultsUS$ 15.80 US$ 14.50
Children from 5 to 12 years oldUS$ 7.30
Children under 5 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
45 minute ride along the canals of Aveiro on board a moliceiro boat.
English speaking guide in the history of Aveiro.
8% discount on the official ticket price.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 11 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Largo do Jardim do Rossio.