Discover the spot where a rainbow fell out of the sky and melted into the Andean landscape on this guided hike of Vinicuna, the spectacularly beautiful Mountain of Seven Colours.
Rainbow Mountain Hike Itinerary
On the day of your hike, you'll be picked up from your hotel at 4 am and after travelling for two and a half hours we'll reach the district of Cusipata, where you'll be able to enjoy a delicious buffet breakfast so that you've got the energy to hike up the stunning Rainbow Mountain!
With your energy replenished, we'll head towards the Wasipata area. We'll arrive an hour later, and now we can start trekking! Alongside an expert guide, you'll trek between mysterious mountains, meeting Andean animals like alpacas, sheep and vicuñas along the way.
After an hour and a half, we'll arrive at the Rainbow Mountain, also known as the Mountain of Seven Colours, where you'll be met with unparalleled panoramic views of Vinicuna. This mountain is a true masterpiece of nature and geology, living up to its name as the Mountain of Seven Colours thanks to the different minerals present on its slopes and summits - one of 100 places you have to see before you die, according to National Geographic!
Enjoying around 40 minutes here to take some photos, we'll walk for another half an hour the spectacular natural stripes of Rainbow Mountain, and then begin the descent to the minibus with another hour-long route. Don't worry, it's easier going downhill!
Once on the minibus, we'll head to a nearby traditional restaurant where you'll enjoy a well-deserved break and a delicious buffet lunch. After lunch, we'll head back to Cusco, where we'll arrive at around 4:30 pm.
- This route is of high difficulty. We recommend this activity for people with a good level of physical health and fitness only. People with heart conditions should not take part in this activity.
- The tour is carried out at high altitudes, reach approximately 16,400 feet (5200 metres) above sea level. While the hike is relatively flat with small hills, it lasts around one hour and 40 minutes and the lack of oxygen is notable. We recommend spending a few days before the activity in Cusco to acclimatise.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 8 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Per person||under 12|
Per personUS$ 24.20
under 12not admitted
12 hours - 13 hours.
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
Pick up from hotel and drop off in central Cusco.
Breakfast and buffet lunch.
English speaking guide.
Entrance to Rainbow Mountain.
Emergency oxygen and first aid kit.
Entry to the Rainbow Mountain: S/ 10 (US$ 2.80) per person.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - Does this tour go to the Red Valley?
A - No, this tour of the Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) does not include a visit to the Red Valley.
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you need help to book an activity or have any enquiries, please contact us.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).