Immerse yourself in the incredible nature, culture and history of the Peruvian Andes on the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu, the most popular alternative to the Inca Trail.
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu: Five Day Tour
On the first day of your trek, you'll be picked up from your hotel in Cusco, leaving the city behind for the four hour drive to Mollepata. Ready for the adventure of a lifetime? We'll enjoy a hearty breakfast at Mollepata, before beginning our hike along the Salkantay Trek, an equally beautiful alternative to the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Walking through lush valleys past snow-capped mountains like Humantay, our first glimpse of the Sacred Valley of the Incas won't disappoint. We'll climb up to Soraypampa, reaching the highest point of the route: the Salkantay Pass, located at 4,600 metres above sea level. After enjoying the views, we'll descend to the camp at Huayraimachay where we'll spend the night.
After a good night's rest, we'll leave Humantay behind and enter the tropical cloud forests, where you'll be met with an incredible wealth of biodiversity. After around four hours of walking, we'll reach the small settlement of Collpapampa, where you'll have the opportunity to relax and bathe in its hot springs. We'll end the day at the Winaypoco campsite, located on the banks of the Santa Teresa River.
The third day will see us leaving Winaypoco behind and delving back into the tropical forests that cover this area of Peru. Trekking through the heat and mosquitoes will be worth it as we admire the stunning flowers of the orchids and bromeliads which line the route - a true delight for the senses! After lunch, we'll cross over the Santa Teresa River and begin climbing up to the Aobamba Pass, located at 2700 metres above sea level. We'll spend the night in Llactapata, home to an Inca archaeological complex.
The fourth day of the Salkantay Trek takes us on a trail from which we'll be able to see the mystical mountain on which Machu Picchu is located in the distance. We'll then follow the Urubamba River down to the last camp of our excursion, Puente Ruinas, located near Aguas Calientes.
On the final day of the tour, we'll rise early for the morning climb up to one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. We'll enjoy a guided tour of the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, discovering its incredibly well-preserved streets, buildings and terraces as we learn all about the architectural and cultural legacy of this pre-Columbian civilisation.
You'll have free time at Machu Picchu to explore at your own pace and investigate lesser-known features like the Inca Bridge, a death-defying alternative entrance to the citadel, and the Temple of the Moon, a ceremonial temple carved into the rock of Huayna Picchu, the mountain which overlooks Machu Picchu.
Make your own way back to Aguas Calientes, walking down the hill or taking the bus (not included) down to the train station, where you'll catch the train back to Cusco. At the end of your unforgettable Salkantay Trek experience, you'll be dropped off at your hotel with memories to last a lifetime.
This five-day tour includes four nights' accommodation. When making the booking, you can choose between staying on your own in a single room or sharing a double room.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 75% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 75% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Double room||Single room||Children under 12|
Double roomUS$ 576.50
Single roomUS$ 576.50
Children under 12not permitted
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and transport by bus from Cusco to Mollepata.
English speaking guide.
Train transport between Aguas Calientes and Cusco.
4 nights' camping accommodation including cooking equipment.
Lunch and dinner on day 1; all meals on days 2, 3 and 4; breakfast on day 5.
Entrance to Machu Picchu.
Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes: US$ 7.
Transport by bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
When to book?
You can book up until 4 days before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, this activity requires visitors to be in good physical shape.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.