See the Upsala Glacier up close on this boat ride around the Los Glaciares National Park. You can also hike through the Patagonian forests, get in touch with life at Estancia Cristina and even go for a jeep ride!
Estancia Cristina & Upsala Glacier Cruise
Ready for a day full of Patagonian nature and icy landscapes? After picking you up at your hotels around 7:30 am, we'll set off on an hour's drive to the quay at Punta Bandera.
Then we'll hop on board a boat and set sail to Estancia Cristina. We'll cruise down the Upsala channel on a two and a half hour boat trip, approaching the magnificent glacier. After disembarking at Estancia Cristina, we'll start a medium-difficulty hike through the area.
Accompanied by your guide, you'll cross a Patagonian forest, spotting numerous Antarctic beech trees and, probably, several species of endemic birds. We'll ascend until we reach a viewpoint from where we'll have a panoramic view of Lake Argentino.
The route will continue uphill with one goal in mind: to reach the Perros waterfall. You'll be amazed by the waterfall and the high view of the Caterina River valley. We'll then enter the estancia's museum to learn a little more about rural life in this region. We'll also visit the chapel, the water mill and other points of interest.
At 5:30 pm we'll take a boat to the port of Punta Bandera, where a minibus will be waiting to take us back to El Calafate. Arrival at the hotels is scheduled for 8 pm.
You can either choose to bring your own food with you or to book the tour option that includes a lunch of two empanadas, a main dish (lamb stew or pesto pasta, to choose), a flan for dessert, a glass of wine or a soft drink and a coffee and tea.
Book without transfers
Do you want to travel to Estancia Cristina yourself? You can book without transfers. If you do, you'll have to meet your guide at the quay at the Estancia, located at Punta Bandera, at 8:15 am. On the return journey, the boat will drop you back off at the quay at 7 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 24 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 80% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 20% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children from 3 to 12||Children under 3|
|Tour without transfers or lunch||
US$ 100 US$ 83
US$ 50 US$ 41.50
|Tour with transfers, without lunch||
US$ 137.50 US$ 109.50
US$ 87.50 US$ 68
|Tour with transfers and lunch||
US$ 180 US$ 149.50
US$ 108 US$ 108
Tour without transfers or lunch
AdultsUS$ 100 US$ 83
Children from 3 to 12US$ 50 US$ 41.50
Children under 3Free
Tour with transfers, without lunch
AdultsUS$ 137.50 US$ 109.50
Children from 3 to 12US$ 87.50 US$ 68
Children under 3Free
Tour with transfers and lunch
AdultsUS$ 180 US$ 149.50
Children from 3 to 12US$ 108 US$ 108
Children under 3Free
12 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off (optional).
Transport by minibus (optional).
English speaking guide.
2.5 hour boat ride to the Glacier Upsala.
Lunch (option depending).
17% discount on the official ticket price.
Ticket to National Glacier Park (800 ARS (US$ 8.50) per person).
When to book?
You can book up until the previous day (8:15 pm) if there are still places available. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Yes, you must attend with a carer.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.