Tour the main sections of the old castle walls of Porto with this tour of one of the areas with the greatest historical legacy of the city. Plus, it's FREE!
Porto Walls Free Walking Tour
We'll start this free tour of Porto by meeting at a time of your choosing in front of the church of São Ildefonso, located in the central Praça da Batalha. From there we'll go to the Guindais area to see one of the best-preserved sections of the so-called Fernandina wall.
The next stop will be next to Porto's cathedral, wherein the surroundings we'll see the remains of the primitive wall that protected the city. The route will then continue to the Praça da Liberdade and the Café de la Porta del Olival. Did you know that a section of the wall has been preserved in the toilets of this establishment?
From there we'll head over to the Parque das Virtudes viewpoint and at the nearby Club Inglés, which also houses various remains of Porto's walls. From there we'll continue to learn about the history of King Fernando I, the monarch who gives his name to these walls, at the Escadas do Caminho Novo and the Postigo do Carvão.
Very close to this old access to the walled enclosure is the Muro do Bacalhoeiros, another of the vestiges of the bastion built to defend the city from possible invaders who might cross the Douro River.
After two and a half hours, we'll finish the free tour in the picturesque area of Gaia.
On this free tour of Porto, reservations for more than 6 people are not allowed. If you wish to discover the city in a group exclusively for you and your partner, family or friends, you can book the private tour of Porto with an English speaking guide.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 4 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialised in the history of Porto.
When to book?
You can book up until 1 hour before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Iglesia de San Ildefonso (Praça da Batalha, Porto).