This day trip from Edinburgh takes in the mysterious Rosslyn Chapel, the pretty border town of Melrose and its Abbey, then takes you from spiritual to spirit-full with a tour and tasting at a malt whisky distillery.
From our starting point by Edinburgh Castle, we head out of the city to the village of Roslin, making our first stop at Rosslyn Chapel. Described as the "Library in Stone", the inside walls of Rosslyn Chapel are covered in thousands of ancient carvings, each with a story of its own. You can also learn of the myths and legends surrounding the chapel, including tales of the Knights Templar. Rosslyn Chapel's worldwide fame increased thanks to "The Da Vinci Code", Dan Brown's blockbusting novel.
Leaving Rosslyn we continue into the heart of the Scottish Borders, an area rich in hills, valleys, rivers and moorland, as well as being the traditional home to Scottish rugby. We travel to the historic town of Melrose, birthplace of the game of Rugby Sevens and location of Melrose Abbey, founded in 660, said to be the burial place of the casket containing the heart of Robert the Bruce. Here we stop for lunch and have free time to explore Melrose and its Abbey.
On our return journey, we'll travel via St. Boswells and pause for a photo stop at Scott's View, where we can enjoy glorious scenic views. Our journey north takes us to Pencaitland, where we visit the charming Glenkinchie Distillery, one of few Scottish Lowland distilleries open to visitors. Here you can enjoy "a tour and a taste", learn more about "the water of life" and sample some of Glenkinchie's finest malts. Then we'll return to Edinburgh, arriving around 5:15 pm.
- Entry to the interior of Rosslyn Chapel, Melrose Abbey and the Glenkinchie Distillery are optional extras, not included in the price of the tour.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accept children under 5 years old on this tour.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 35% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
English Language Tour
Children (5-16)US$ 46.70
Seniors (60+)US$ 46.70
* The price varies based on the chosen date
7 hours 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Knowledgeable driver guide.
Luxury air conditioned coach.
Written translations (on request).
Entrance to attractions.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (6:00 PM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Outside the green Ensign Ewart pub, at 521-523 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, EH1 2PE