Ever dreamt of hiking up an active volcano? Now's your chance! Enjoy the unique experience of climbing up Pacaya Volcano on this tour from Guatemala City.
Pacaya Volcano Tour
Having picked you up from your hotel between 8 am and 8:30 am, we'll board our tour bus and leave Guatemala City behind in the direction of the Pacaya National Park, located around an hour and a half's drive away.
Arriving in the small town of San Vicente de Pacaya, we'll embark on our hiking route to the bottom of the Pacaya Volcano, one of Guatemala's active volcanoes and an impressive peak of more than 8,300 feet (over 2,500 metres) in height. We'll spend around three hours trekking up its slopes (for safety reasons, it's not possible to hike up to the peak).
Along the trail, we'll walk through enchanting pine forests and cross over land covered with volcanic ash, before reaching the smouldering sulphur cone. We might even get to see small rivers of lava flowing down the volcano! From our privileged vantage point on the volcano, we'll have spectacular views of the Agua, Fuego and Acatenango volcanoes. What's more, we'll see the lowlands by the Pacific coast and El Salvador on the horizon.
After taking in the beautiful landscapes of Guatemala, we'll begin our descent back down to the volcano's base, and from there we'll return to Guatemala City by bus. You'll be dropped back off at your hotel between 3 pm and 3:30 pm, after a full day of fun.
Hotel pick up
This tour includes a pick up service from hotels located in the following neighbourhoods in Guatemala City: zone 1, zone 9, zone 10, zone 13, zone 14 and from the road to El Salvador.
Who can participate in this activity?
This activity requires a good level of physical fitness. The tour is not recommended for people with heart, back or breathing problems or high blood pressure.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 7 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Per person||Children under 3|
Per personUS$ 69
Children under 3not permitted
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by bus.
English and Spanish speaking guide.
Entry to the Pacaya Volcano National Park.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.